Regional Forum on Religion and Covid-19 (Southern Africa)
- When: 22.08.2022, 08:30 to 15:30 (SAST/CEST)
- Organiser: PaRD Health Work-Stream supported by the University of Pretoria, SDSN South Africa, Humboldt University Berlin, IN // RCSD and World Vision
- Format: Hybrid
- Physical Location: EMS Research Hub, University of Pretoria, Tshwane, South Africa
- Virtual Location: Zoom
- Registration until 15 August 2022:
- For virtual attendance: Click here!
- For in-person attendance: Click here!
As a follow-up to the PaRD Regional Forum 2021: Religious Agency in Response to Covid-19, this year's Regional Forum on Religion and Covid-19 in Southern Africa aims to update and consolidate key findings on the role of religious actors in dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic and its impact on development cooperation. Those findings will serve as a basis for discussions on how to improve cooperation between local religious communities as development actors, governments and funding agencies.
>> 09:00-10:30 (SAST/CEST) – Different Perspectives
Different speakers will share from their different networks/institutions what they or their faith/religious community have done and what they have learnt with regard to:
- The impact of Covid-19 on their organisation/community.
- The way in which prevention activities were managed at the local level.
- Factors that contributed to the vaccination coverage rate.
- Success of measures to manage the impact of Covid-19.
- Preparedness for future pandemics and other disasters.
- Status of development cooperation with religious communities.
>> 10:30-10:55 (SAST/CEST) – Tea Break
>> 11:00-12:00 (SAST/CEST) – Breakout Group Discussions
In the breakout sessions, participants will discuss the issues raised by the speakers in the Different Perspectives session in 5-6 breakout groups (face-to-face and virtual). In the breakout sessions, participants will reflect on the experiences of their own communities, focusing on the following topics:
- What were your experiences during Covid-19?
- What challenges did you face during the Covid-19 response?
- How did you respond? How did local communities deal with the impacts of Covid-19?
- How did you engage with other stakeholders, government, CBOs and donors?
- What are the key factors that enable future collaboration on health and other development issues, and what are the factors that hinder collaboration?
- What were your key findings from the responses to Covid-19?
>> 12:00-13:00 (SAST/CEST) – Lunch Break
>> 13:05- 13:45 (SAST/CEST) – Presentation of Key Findings of Breakout Group Discussions
Each discussion group will present their key findings.
>> 13:45-14:45 (SAST/CEST) – Policy Recommendations Workshop
Groups will be formed for this workshop. They will work together to find a solution on how religious communities can strengthen their role in development cooperation and especially preparedness for future pandemics and other disasters.
>> 14:45-15:30 (SAST/CEST) – Presentation of Policy Recommendations
Each workshop group will present their key findings.
>> 15:30-15:35 (SAST/CEST) – Event Close: 5 minutes